Coller IP’s work on IP Strategy, understanding of the needs of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises and establishment of INTIPSA attracted the attention of UKIPO during the Hargreaves Review.
The recommendations of the review are now being implemented and Jackie Maguire, CEO Coller IP, now sits on the Expert Advisory Group to provide constructive and robust independent challenge to the existing and developing IPO research work programme.
The Group held its first meeting on 1st May 2012 and will meet quarterly. The terms of reference of the Group are to:
- advise on methodology for specific research projects,
- help identify policy implications from the research outputs;
- provide peer review on research outputs;
- develop a programme of key policy topics for debate;
- develop and advise the IPO on options for future research; and
- have the opportunity to call expert witnesses to attend meetings.
The role of innovation in supporting SME’s and the growth agenda is vital to the IPO and it is important to assess and evaluate the evidence base that underpins policy. The Expert Advisory Group will look to identify how the results of economic and market research might influence and impact upon policy and will identify future research questions. The IPO also looks to the Group to help in developing proposals for seminar and workshop programmes.
Coller IP is keen that UKIPO helps to ensure that professional, strategic IP advice is delivered to industry which takes technical, legal and commercial aspects into consideration.